Friday 7 April 2023

Playing with Perspective Effects

I have been wanting to do this exercise for some time. I took my 4 shift lenses to the San Cataldo Cemetery in Modena to use the Ossario by Aldo Rossi as a test scene. I wanted to see the prospective effects as I switched lenses. Being a cube, it was almost perfect subject for my test. I stated with the 45mm TS and then attached the 35PC, 28PC and lastly the 24TS. I tried to fit the building equally into the pictures, but there is a certain approximation in my testing.

My first reaction is that the 45TS "flattens" to much at some angles. The 35PC seems the most natural, the 28PC neither here nor there and the 24mm the most dramatic. The 24mm is good for modern buildings but perhaps too much for older monuments.

The next test will be to find some old church with enough space to enable the use of the same four lenses for a similar test, but with the addition of diagonal shifts. Bell towers seem to be the critical part of the rendering of old churches, if you are not front on. But I want to codify this type of subject to make lens choice in the field easier.

I also met a charming American Architect who had travelled all the way up from Florence to Modena, just to see Aldo Rossi's creation here. She was pleased to find sombody to take a picture of her in front of the cube.

What do you think renders best?

PS this could be done in post too. So no polemic please

45mm


35mm


28mm


24mm

EDIT


Edited to Incluse a 15mm shift lens


45mm


35mm


28mm


24mm





No comments:

Post a Comment

Nikon 28mm -400mm Lens Review

  Nikon have Just released the rather interesting 28mm-400mm zoom lens, which I can see as being pretty useful in a number of situations. I ...